Shocking experience leads man to file suit
Bolts of electricity coursed through Percy Flannigan's body until his wife could unplug the machine.
He is suing Ace Hardware, the company who rented him the tool, and General Wire Spring, the company that manufactured it.
Flannigan's lawsuit says on June 4, 2006, he rented an auger (commonly known as a sewer snake) from Ace to clean his septic tank.
"While attempting to use the auger, he received a serious electrical shock and remained seized in the electrical shock until his wife walked out of the residency, saw him down, and unplugged the machine," the suit said.
He is claiming negligence, saying the defendants failed to properly equip the product with a ground interrupter.
Flannigan filed his suit on April 4 with the Orange County District Court. He is demanding a trial by jury.
Jane Leger of Beaumont's Provost Umphrey law firm is representing him.