Dryer blamed for housefire, Conn's sued

David Yates Feb. 13, 2008, 7:00am

Two years after purchasing a dryer from Conn's, Sheila Ignacio claims a spark from her dryer's power cord ignited a fire and burned down her home. She has filed suit against Conn Appliance Inc.

Her suit was filed in the Jefferson County District Court on Feb. 12.

According to the plaintiff's petition, sometime in 2005 Ignacio purchased a dryer at the Port Arthur Conn's, who was responsible for the installation.

"A Conn' s service person installed a power cord to the back of the dryer unit," the suit said. "This installation was faulty and performed negligently. Plaintiff's contention is that Conn's was made aware of this significant defect with the dryer on several occasions but failed to correct it.

"Specifically, the unit would spark when the manual-operating dial was turned. On the morning of Sept. 17, 2007, Ms. Ignacio's daughter started the dryer. A devastating fire resulted and Ms. Ignacio's home was burned down."

The eight-count suit charges Conn' s with fraud, negligence, gross negligence, negligent misrepresentation, breach of contract, breach of warranty and breach of fiduciary duty.

"Plaintiff alleges that Conn' s has breached its agreement with Plaintiff and breached its warranty with Plaintiff," the suit said. "Had the power cord not been negligently installed or additionally, and in the alternative, if Conn' s had not failed to remedy the problem after being alerted to this dangerous condition, then it is likely this house fire would never have occurred."

Ignacio asserts that Conn's conduct was a violation of the Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act.

She is suing for actual, punitive and treble damages.

Ignacio is represented by Dan Ducote Jr. of the Moore Landrey law firm.

Judge Bob Wortham, 58th Judicial District, has been assigned to the case.

Case No. A181-223

More News