Couple sues 37 companies for man's asbestos exposure
A Texas man and his wife have filed an asbestos suit against 37 defendant corporations, claiming an asbestos-related disease with which the man was diagnosed was wrongfully caused.
Luther and Willie Mae Defee claim Luther worked as a laborer and an operator, according to a lawsuit filed Sept. 26 in Jefferson District Court.
They claim his disease was caused because he was exposed to and inhaled, ingested or otherwise absorbed asbestos fibers.
They claim the products were unreasonably dangerous and defective and that the companies were negligent because they failed to warn or adequately test their products.
The Defees allege the asbestos-related disease disfigured Luther and has caused substantial medical costs. Luther also has and will continue to experience physical pain, suffering, physical impairment and mental anguish, they claim in the lawsuit.
The couple is seeking unspecified actual and exemplary damages, costs of the suit and prejudgment and post-judgment interest.
They are represented by Bryan O. Blevins, Jr., of Provost, Umphrey Law Firm in Beaumont.
The case has been assigned to Judge Bob Wortham, 58th District Court.
Case No. A182-456