Man gets electric shock installing awning, sues pool hall
GALVESTON Ã¯Â¿Â½ A Harris County man is suing a Houston overhang fabrication business and a San Leon pool hall after he was allegedly electrocuted while installing framework more than six months ago.
Martin Moreno filed suit against U.S. Canvas & Awning Corp. and Casper's Billiards in Galveston County District Court, claiming both defendants neglected to ensure his safety prior to and during his task.
The personal injury suit was filed by Houston attorney Brent M. Cordell of the Smith & Hassler law firm on May 4.
Court papers say on July, 29, 2008, Moreno was setting up an aluminum frame awning at Casper's when a piece of said frame came together with a power line.
The plaintiff subsequently received an electric shock.
"He was severely burned on his side," the suit says.
Moreno was rushed to a nearby hospital.
The suit does not elaborate on the gravity or extent of Moreno's injuries, but insists the incident greatly disfigured and impaired the plaintiff.
Moreover, it faults the defendants of failing to warn Moreno of the presence of any power lines, forgetting to provide proper equipment, inadequately establishing and enforcing safety rules and regulations, and overlooking any potential dangers as well as requiring the plaintiff to perform tasks beyond his physical capabilities.
"Each and all of the above and foregoing acts, both of omission and commission, singularly or in combination with others, constituted negligence which proximately caused the occurrence made the basis of this suit, and the plaintiff's injuries and damages pled herein," the original petition states.
Moreno seeks damages to cover lost wages, medical expenses, pain and suffering, mental anguish.
He also demands a jury trial.
Galveston County 56th District Court Judge Lonnie Cox is presiding over the case.
Case No. 09CV0652