Port Arthur man sues electric company over house fire

Kelly Holleran Jul. 7, 2009, 3:47am

A Port Arthur homeowner is asking an electric company for more than $190,000 for damages caused to his property after his home caught on fire.

Rocky Kennedy filed a lawsuit June 25 in Jefferson County District Court against Beaumont Electric Inc.

Kennedy says he sustained extensive damages to his home and personal property located at 7713 Springmeadow Lane after it caught on fire on July 12, 2007.

"Upon investigation, it has been determined that the fire originated in an electrical switch installed by Defendant Beaumont Electric," the suit states.

According to the complaint, Kennedy's insurance company, Farm Bureau Insurance Companies, paid $193,650 in repairs to fix his home.

Beaumont Electric is guilty of breach of express warranty, breach of implied warranty and negligence, the complaint says.

In addition to the money he says he is owed, Kennedy is seeking pre- and post-judgment interest, costs and other relief the court deems just.

Jefferey E. Hansen of Hasten and Hansen in Arlington will be representing him.

The case has been assigned to Judge Gary Sanderson, 60th District Court.

Jefferson County District Court case number: B184-368.

More News