Family sues east Texas electric co-op over fire

Kelly Holleran Nov. 9, 2009, 3:27am

Three Tyler County residents have filed suit against Sam Houston Electric Cooperative, alleging the company failed to properly inspect wiring that later caused a fire.

Carl Overstreet Sr., Carl Overstreet Jr. and Susan Overstreet allege a fire severely damaged their property at 1505 CR 4530 in Hillister on Sept. 26, 2008, due to defective services the co-op provided.

Because of the fire, the Overstreets sustained the cost of repairs, lost use of the property during its repairs and incurred medical costs, according to the complaint filed Nov. 3 in Jefferson County District Court.

In addition, they suffered mental anguish, physical impairment, pain and lost wages, the suit states.

The Overstreets blame Sam Houston Electric co-op for failing to maintain the power lines that caused the fire, failing to properly inspect the wires and failing to properly train its employees.

In addition, the company failed to ensure its employees are properly qualified and failed to warn its customers of a leak, the complaint says.

The Overstreets are seeking actual damages, plus pre- and post-judgment interest, attorney's fees, costs and other relief the court deems just.

Jennifer Job Seale of Provost and Umphrey Law Firm in Beaumont will be representing them.

The case has been assigned to Judge Donald Floyd, 172nd District Court.

Jefferson County District Court case number: E185-260.

More News