Woman's electrical shock leads to suit against Moody Gardens Hotel

John Suayan, Galveston Bureau Mar. 17, 2010, 9:00am

GALVESTON - A Fort Bend married couple is suing two local non-profit organizations after the wife received an electrical shock during a stay last year at a hotel operated by the defendants, recent court documents say.

Virginia Campos and Johnny M. Holman Jr. argue in a lawsuit filed March 4 in Galveston County District Court that Moody Gardens Inc. and The Friends of Moody Gardens Inc. did not inspect an allegedly defective mirror-lamp belonging to the Moody Gardens Hotel, causing Campos's alleged injuries.

"There was a condition on the defendants' premises that posed an unreasonable risk of harm," the original petition says.

The plaintiffs were guests of the hotel in question on June 25, 2008.
They say that the mirror-lamp in their room "electrocuted, shocked, and severely burned" Campos.

"As a result of the defendants' joint and severally negligent and gross negligent acts, the plaintiff, Virginia Campos, suffered second and third-degree burns on her left hand and a ruptured left ear drum," the suit says.

It adds Campos developed tinnitus, intermittent otalgia, headaches, echoes in her left ear, decreased hearing, and other "severe, permanent, and disabling" injuries.

Consequently, the plaintiffs seek damages including but not limited to physical pain and mental anguish, medical expenses, and a loss of marital consortium. They also request a jury trial.

The plaintiffs are represented by Houston attorneys Vincent K. Lo and Newton B. Schwartz.

Galveston County 10th District Court Judge David Garner is presiding over the case.

Case No. 10cv0630

More News