Backyard fire at Texas City home leads to lawsuit
GALVESTON Ã¯Â¿Â½ Jennifer Fisk is suing Texas City residents Erica Bette and Ethan Mayfield over an incident at their residence last month, recent court documents say.
In a lawsuit filed April 18 in Galveston County District Court, Fisk claims Michael Austen Burd was doused with gasoline and set on fire while visiting the defendants' property on March 15.
Mayfield was pouring gasoline on a fire in the backyard when the incident occurred, the original petition states.
Fisk believes Mayfield "caused Michael Austen Burd to be soaked with gasoline and set on fire."
She alleges Bette was aware of the dangerous conduct which led to Burd's injuries.
"As a result of the negligence of the defendants, Michael Austen Burd was severely burned," the suit says.
It blames the defendants for not taking any preventative measures such as exercising reasonable care and controlling potential dangers arising from their alleged conduct.
"The defendants breach their legal duties owed to the plaintiff," the suit says.
Fisk adds Austen experienced pain and suffering and mental anguish because of his reported ordeal.
Consequently, she sues for medical expenses and lost wages. A jury trial has been requested.
R.G. Taylor II P.C. & Associates is representing Fisk, and Galveston County 56th District Court Judge Lonnie Cox is presiding over the case.
Case No. 11-cv-0659