TYLER - An East Texas healthcare center is being sued by a former employee after she was fired for complaining about sexual harassment.
Claiming violations of her civil rights, Amanda Jackson filed suit against Healthcare Services Group Inc., doing business as Palestine Healthcare Center on June 17 in the Eastern District of Texas, Tyler Division.
According to the lawsuit, Jackson was hired by the defendant as a janitor in March 2010. She alleges that within a few days, her immediate supervisor began to make inappropriate advances toward her on almost a daily basis. Jackson claims she complained about the harassment to different personnel, including the direct manager in April.
The day after her complaint, she was terminated for being on her cellphone in the janitor's closet and not properly cleaning rooms. She states this reason is a pretext for retaliation.
"In essence, had Plaintiff agreed to engage in sexual relations with the supervisor, and/or had she not complained about her supervisor's sexually-harassing conduct, Jackson would not have been terminated," the lawsuit states.
The plaintiff is seeking an award of lost wages and benefits, compensatory and equitable damages, punitive damages, interest, court costs and attorney's fees.
Jackson is represented by Robert Bobby Lee and Carmen Artaza of Lee & Braziel in Dallas. A jury trial is requested.
Case No. 6:11-cv-00316
- Three accident victims take driver to court for failed u-turn maneuver
- Texas jury cuffs China-based company with $31.5M patent infringement verdict
- Woman struck in vehicle at intersection sues for damages in roll-over accident
- Pedestrian faults alleged inebriated driver for hitting him
- Woman blames couple for damages and injuries in collision
- Railway worker claims damages from abrupt locomotive jolt
- Hotel guest sues for damages, claiming disabled door struck him
- Montgomery County man wants to know if jury pools are racially balanced
- MetLife suspects widow of murder, seeks representation for surviving children
- Suit alleging FMLA violation brought against Avance Inc.