Couple claims contractor caught kitchen on fire

David Yates Jul. 28, 2011, 9:52am

Joseph and Carla Mason have filed suit against Phillip Charlton, a Beaumont contractor they hired to remodel their kitchen.

Alleging one of Charlton's employees set fire to their cabinets, the Masons filed their suit against him on July 22 in Jefferson County District Court.

According to the lawsuit, on July 24, 2009, the Masons hired Charlton to install kitchen cabinets in their Beaumont home.

While spraying lacquer on the cabinets, one of Charlton's employees ignited the fumes, causing extensive fire damage to the home.

The suit accuses Charlton of negligently failing to supervise his employee and apply the lacquer in the proper manner.

The plaintiffs are suing for punitive damages.

Beaumont attorney Wyatt Snider represents them.

Judge Gary Sanderson, 6oth District Court, has been assigned to the case.

Case No. B190-563

More News