Plant worker sues after being doused with liquid sulphur
GALVESTON - Claiming he was doused with liquid sulphur while working at a Texas City plant last month, Santa Fe resident Alan Snyder has filed a lawsuit against his employer.
Snyder's suit against Gulf Sulphur Services alleges a supervisor ignored the his pleas to shut down a malfunctioning unit at the facility. According to the original complaint filed Aug. 22 in Galveston County District Court, Snyder was doused with chemicals when the unit spewed its contents.
The plant's owner and operator, Savage Services Corp., is not a defendant in the case.
Snyder, an independent contractor, was in the midst of his sixth day working at the premises on July 8 when the incident occurred.
According to the suit, "It was apparently common knowledge that many of the plant units that handled liquid sulphur had been out of service, and the plaintiff became concerned when the unit on which he was working was not operating properly."
The plaintiff claims he tried to address the concern only to be told to continue working.
"Suddenly and without warning, liquid sulphur sprayed from the unit and splashed onto the plaintiff's face, arms, body and leg," the suit states.
Snyder claims his skin continued to burn as he sought relief, and he had to be sent to the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston for treatment.
Consequently, the plaintiff seeks unspecified monetary damages.
He is represented by Abraham, Watkins, Nichols Sorrels, Agosto & Friend.
The case has been assigned to Galveston County 212th District Court Judge Susan Criss.
Case No. 11-cv-1353