Lowe's sued for selling toxic ceiling fan

David Yates Sep. 1, 2011, 5:23am

On behalf of their minor daughter Jenna, Scott and Sherry Wade have filed suit against Lowe's Home Centers, alleging the company sold them a ceiling fan which emitted toxic formaldehyde.

The suit was filed Aug. 30 in Jefferson County District Court.

According to the lawsuit, sometime in December 2009 the Wades purchased a Harbor Breeze celling fan from Lowe's and installed it in their daughter's room.

Soon after the fan was installed, Jenna allegedly began suffering from seizures, rashes, headaches, memory loss and vomiting. Her symptoms forced her parents to take her out of public school and place her in home school.

Eventually, the Wades learned the celling fan was emitting formaldehyde and responsible for Jenna's condition, the suit alleges.

The suit claims Lowe's had a duty to warn the Wades of the dangerous condition of the fan.

They are suing for their daughter's mental anguish, impairment and medical expenses.

Beaumont attorney Michael McGown of Benckenstein, Norvell & Nathan represents them.

Judge Gary Sanderson, 6oth District Court, has been assigned to the case.

Case No. B190-742

More News