GALVESTON - Harris County residents Laura M. Mafrige and Diran A. Elsaifi claim H.I.S. Construction Inc. failed to make proper post-hurricane repairs to their Galveston residence.
In a lawsuit filed Oct. 14 in Galveston County District Court, the plaintiffs explain that the defendant's reportedly shoddy work cost them more than $30,000 to repair.
Recent court documents show the H.I.S. Construction was brought in after Hurricane Ike damaged the plaintiffs' property on Sept. 13, 2008.
"Thereafter, the plaintiffs entered into an agreement with the defendant, whereby the defendant would make repairs to the home," the suit says.
"Though the defendant undertook the repairs to the home, the same were not done in a good and workmanlike manner, and the work was defective."
The complainants argue that "the value of the home has diminished by more than $30,000."
The suit adds "they made the defendant aware of the significant defects in its work, and demanded that the defendant correct the same, the defendant failed and refused to take any further action."
The respondent allegedly filed an affidavit for mechanic's and materialman's lien and an affidavit for constitutional lien on the property, which the suits states was not timely filed.
Consequently, the homeowners seek a minimum of $30,000 in damages.
They are represented by attorney Dennis McQueen of Houston.
The case has been assigned to Galveston County 56th District Court Judge Lonnie Cox.
Case No. 11-cv-1609
- Recent patent infringement cases filed in the Eastern District of Texas
- Texas Congressman says asbestos reform needed to protect veterans, first responders
- Family of man killed in 2013 rear-end collision sues driver, alleging negligence
- Seaman blames two marime companies for accident aboard vessel
- Motorist sues Bay Oil Company, alleging negligence in collision
- Seaman sues maritime company, alleging negligence in accident aboard vessel
- Slip & fall at ice machine results in suit against Valero
- Inspection Oilfield Services sued over unpaid overtime allegations
- Harris Co. man sues United Airlines over fall from jetbridge at Singapore airport
- Galveston County man sues businesses, alleging negligence in fall