Suit over inadequate fire alarms dismissed

David Yates Nov. 21, 2011, 5:18am

Last May, Saul and Aubrey Caballero sued the owners of a Port Arthur building where they say Saul suffered from severe smoke inhalation.

On June 14 Judge Bob Wortham, 58th District Court, dismissed defendants Andreas Barrera, Paula Barrera and Lufinda Barrera without prejudice.

Court records show that two weeks prior to the order the plaintiffs filed a motion for non-suit, stating that they no longer wished to prosecute their claims.

In their suit, Saul and Aubrey Caballero claim they rented a property at 4246 Fourth St. in Port Arthur from the defendants when a fire broke out on Nov. 20, 2009.

"As a result of inadequate conditions and improper fire detection equipment, the Plaintiff suffered from severe smoke inhalation," the suit filed May 17 in Jefferson County District Court states.

Because of his smoke inhalation, Saul Caballero incurred medical costs, suffered physical pain and mental anguish and incurred physical impairment, according to the complaint.

Aubrey Caballero was suing for loss of consortium, including damages to her family relationship and loss of care, comfort, solace, companionship, protection, services and physical relations, the complaint says.

Scott W. Browne of Browne and Browne in Beaumont represented them.

Case No. A186-874

More News