Still no answer from contractor who allegedly started kitchen fire
Six months after filing suit, Joseph and Carla Mason are still waiting for Phillip Charlton, a Beaumont contractor they hired to remodel their kitchen, to answer.
The Masons filed their suit against him on July 22 in Jefferson County District Court, alleging one of Charlton's employees set fire to their cabinets.
On Oct. 6 a notice was filed in the case stating that Charlton was not at the address specified in the suit; therefore, the constable was unable to serve him with the couple's amended petition.
As of Dec. 27, court records show that Charlton has not answered either the Masons' original petition or first amended petition.
The suit states that on July 24, 2009, the Masons hired Charlton to install kitchen cabinets in their Beaumont home.
While spraying lacquer on the cabinets, one of Charlton's employees ignited the fumes, causing extensive fire damage to the home.
The suit accuses Charlton of negligently failing to supervise his employee and apply the lacquer in the proper manner.
The plaintiffs are suing for punitive damages.
Beaumont attorney Wyatt Snider represents them.
Judge Gary Sanderson, 6oth District Court, is assigned to the case.
Case No. B190-563