Woman sues hotel claiming toxic mold made her sick

John Suayan, Galveston Bureau Feb. 6, 2012, 8:36am

Gene Hagood of Hagood, Neumann & Huckeba in Alvin.

GALVESTON - Friendswood resident Stacy Johnson is suing Park Management Group and Sun Suites Interests alleging she was sickened by toxic mold in a hotel room.

Johnson's lawsuit, filed Feb. 1 in Galveston County Court at Law No. 1, alleges the plaintiff fell ill on Aug. 3, 2010, as a result of toxic mold found in a room at Sun Suites of Clear Lake in Houston.

Park Management Group was responsible for the safety and habitable state of the rooms at the property in question while Sun Suites Interests owned said property, the suit says.

The original petition shows subsequent tests confirmed that the mold was in Johnson's room and it was recommended that she not stay in the room.

According to the complainant, the defendants "knew or should have known that the dangerous condition, toxic mold, existed on said premises, but failed to warn and/or failed to correct the said dangerous condition."

"The toxic mold caused the plaintiff's personal injuries and property damage in question," the suit says.

Johnson consequently sues for physical pain, mental anguish, physical impairment, loss of earnings and medical expenses and seeks a jury trial.

She is represented by Hagood, Neumann & Huckeba LLP.

The case has been assigned to Galveston County Court at Law No. 1 Judge John Grady.

Cause No. 66,881

More News