Fuse burst into flames and burned son, parents allege in suit

David Yates Mar. 15, 2012, 5:36am

A burning strip of magnesium ribbon

An area family is alleging a fuse burst into flames, injuring one of the plaintiffs and causing fire damage to their residence.

Kyle, Larry and Deborah McCarver filed suit against Ginsberg Scientific, American Educational Products, Nite Lights, Disco Tech, Music Torch and Pyro Direct on March 8 in Jefferson County District Court.

According to the lawsuit, Kyle, age 19 at the time of the incident, had ordered a fuse and magnesium ribbon from a website operated by Disco Tech. On Feb. 28, 2010, Kyle received the fuse and after removing it from the shipping box it ignited in his left hand and set him on fire. He sustained burns to 40 percent of his body, the suit states.

The bedroom then caught on fire and caused damage to the plaintiffs' property, the suit states.

According to the suit, Ginsberg Scientific and American Educational supplied the magnesium ribbon. The fuse was marketed and distributed by Nite Light and Pyro Direct.

Magnesium is a flammable metal used in fire works and combustion experiments. Magnesium ribbon burns with a bright light. In the past magnesium flame have been used as a photography flash light. Magnesium is also used in fireworks. Magnesium ribbon is specifically sold for science experiments and observations.

The defendants are accused of negligently failing to correct and eliminated the risks associated with the magnesium ribbon and fuse and warn of the dangers.

The plaintiffs accuse the defendants of acting with malic and are suing for punitive and exemplary damages.

They are represented by the Law Offices of Gilbert T. Adams in Beaumont.

Judge Milton Shuffield, 136th District Court, is assigned to the case.

Case No. D192-148

More News