Family blames asbestos exposure for boilermaker's death

John Suayan, Galveston Bureau Mar. 20, 2012, 5:13am

GALVESTON – The family of the late Robert Bage has filed a lawsuit alleging he died from lung cancer caused by exposure to asbestos.

Robert Bage's widow, Velma Bage, and the couple's five children filed suit against Union Carbide Corp., Cleaver-Brooks Inc., Foster Wheeler Energy Corp., Riley Power Inc. and Trinity Construction Co. Inc. on March 8 in Galveston County District Court say.

Bage worked as a boilermaker at the Union Carbide facilities in Texas City from 1955 to 1993.

According to the original petition, he was exposed to asbestos dust and fibers prior to 1980.

"As a result of his exposure to asbestos dust and fibers while employed by defendant Union Carbide or while working on the defendant's premises, Robert Bage contracted asbestos-related lung cancer which ultimately took his life," the suit says.

Bage died on March 12, 2010.

The family claims the defendants' negligence caused his injuries and subsequent death.

"The defendants knew, or in the exercise of ordinary or reasonable care should have known, that the asbestos containing insulation and/or machinery they manufactured, sold, designed, supplied, distributed, mined, milled relabeled, resold, processed applied or installed was poisonous and highly harmful to Mr. Bage's health," the suit says.

Consequently, the complainants seek unspecified monetary damages.

They are represented by attorney J. Benjamin Black of Heard Robbins Cloud & Black PC in Houston.

The case has been assigned to Galveston County 56th District Court Judge Lonnie Cox.

Case No. 12-cv-372

More News