SHERMAN - A debt collection agency is being sued for violating federal law after one of its agents allegedly called a consumer vulgar names.
Karen Donaldson filed suit against First National Collection Bureau Inc. and John Does 1-20 on April 30 in the Eastern District of Texas, Sherman Division.
According to the court records, First National Collection placed collection calls to Donaldson from September to November 2011. These calls allegedly occurred two to three times per day.
Donaldson states that one of the defendant's employees called her a vulgar name on three separate occasions. In addition, the debt collection agent left voicemail messages that called Donaldson a vulgar name.
The continued calls and abusive language has caused Donaldson to suffer emotional distress, anguish, and mental anguish, the lawsuit states.
The defendant is accused of violating the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act by calling Donaldson repeatedly and continuously with the intent to annoy, abuse, or harass Donaldson.
The plaintiff is seeking an award of actual damages for mental anguish, emotional distress, anxiety, depression, inconvenience and the disruption of her day, statutory damages, court costs, and attorney's fees.
Donaldson is represented by Ryan Lee of Krohn & Moss Ltd. in Los Angeles, Calif.
U.S. District Judge Ron Clark is assigned to the case.
Case No. 4:12-cv-00255
- Three accident victims take driver to court for failed u-turn maneuver
- Texas jury cuffs China-based company with $31.5M patent infringement verdict
- Woman struck in vehicle at intersection sues for damages in roll-over accident
- Pedestrian faults alleged inebriated driver for hitting him
- Woman blames couple for damages and injuries in collision
- Railway worker claims damages from abrupt locomotive jolt
- Hotel guest sues for damages, claiming disabled door struck him
- Montgomery County man wants to know if jury pools are racially balanced
- MetLife suspects widow of murder, seeks representation for surviving children
- Suit alleging FMLA violation brought against Avance Inc.