Widow blames Chevron for late husband's asbestos exposure
The widow of Robert Booker has filed suit against her husband's former employer, Chevron USA, alleging Booker was exposed to asbestos during his refinery career.
Octavene Booker and her children filed the suit May 7 in Jefferson County District Court.
According to the lawsuit, Booker was employed by Gulf Oil, now known as Chevron, where he was exposed to asbestos dust and fibers.
"As a result of such exposure, Robert Booker developed an asbestos-related disease, pulmonary asbestosis and lung cancer, from which he died a painful and terrible death on May 25, 2011," the suit states.
The suit further alleges that the defendant knew for decades that asbestos products were harmful and still allowed their employees to work with them without warning.
The plaintiffs are suing for exemplary damages.
Provost Umphrey attorney Keith Hyde of Beaumont represents them.
Judge Gary Sanderson, 6oth District Court, is assigned to the case.
Case No. B192-420