Suit over ‘unreasonably dangerous’ Glade candle dismissed

David Yates Dec. 17, 2012, 5:11pm

Plaintiff Courtney Harris has dismissed S.C. Johnson & Son from her suit, which alleges a Glade scented candle started a house fire. 

As previously reported, Harris filed suit against S.C. Johnson on Sept. 6 in Jefferson County District Court under the Deceptive Trade Practices Act.

Court records show that on June 29 Harris filed a motion to dismiss.

Judge Bob Wortham, 58th District Court, granted the motion on July 12, dismissing S.C. Johnson & Son with prejudice.

On Oct. 11, 2011, plaintiff’s attorney John Morgan signed off on a letter submitted by defense attorney James R. Old Jr. of the Beaumont law firm Germer Gertz, court records show.

The letter states that Harris’ claims do not exceed $75,000 and that no damages above $75,000 will be sought from a jury.

Court records do not say if the suit was settled.

According to the lawsuit, the candle was advertised as safe with the promise it would enhance a home, enticing Harris to purchase the scented candle.

“Instead, the candle was unreasonably dangerous, and it flared and/or malfunctioned, causing the house to catch on fire,” the suit states. “The home sustained substantial property damage and plaintiff sustained bodily injury as a result.”

Harris was suing for her medical expenses and mental anguish, plus actual damages.

Case No. A190-852

More News