LUFKIN - An African-American truck driver has filed a racial discrimination lawsuit against his employer claiming that he was fired for complaining about discrimination.
Bartholomew Booth filed suit against Heckmann Water Resources Corp. on Jan. 18 in the Eastern District of Texas, Lufkin Division.
Booth was hired as a truck driver by Bear Creek Environmental in Aug. 30, 2010, and transitioned to working for the defendant. Booth claims he noticed that management treated African-American employees at Heckmann’s Appleby yard differently; employees were spoken to in a demeaning manner, subjected to different rules than whites and denied benefits and privileges.
Booth states he complained about the disparate treatment on Jan. 10, 2012, and was terminated the next day.
The defendant is accused of violating Booth’s civil rights by committing discrimination and retaliation.
The plaintiff is seeking a permanent injunction stopping the defendant from further discrimination and an award of damages for back pay, reinstatement or front pay, loss of earnings, loss of earning capacity, loss of benefits, compensatory damages for pain and suffering, mental anguish and emotional distress, punitive damages, attorney’s fees, interest and court costs.
Booth is represented by Marjorie A. Murphy of The Murphy Law Practice in Houston. A jury trial is requested.
Case No. 9:13-cv-00018
- Three accident victims take driver to court for failed u-turn maneuver
- Texas jury cuffs China-based company with $31.5M patent infringement verdict
- Woman struck in vehicle at intersection sues for damages in roll-over accident
- Pedestrian faults alleged inebriated driver for hitting him
- Woman blames couple for damages and injuries in collision
- Railway worker claims damages from abrupt locomotive jolt
- Hotel guest sues for damages, claiming disabled door struck him
- Montgomery County man wants to know if jury pools are racially balanced
- MetLife suspects widow of murder, seeks representation for surviving children
- Suit alleging FMLA violation brought against Avance Inc.