A custodian at a Port Arthur refinery has filed a gender and racial discrimination lawsuit claiming that she was transferred after she filed a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
Stephanie Bennette filed suit against Flint Hills Resources LP on Feb. 11 in federal court in the Beaumont Division of the Eastern District of Texas.
Bennette worked at a Port Arthur plant ran by the defendant Flint Hills Resources. She claims she was subjected to unwelcome sexual advances by a plant supervisor and sexual harassment by a co-worker.
According to the lawsuit, Bennette was transferred to work at a different location and was told it was for her own protection. However the job at the new location was of shorter duration, so she was laid off earlier than if she had stayed at the Port Arthur facility.
The defendant is accused of violating Bennette’s civil rights by gender and race discrimination and EEOC retaliation.
The plaintiff is seeking an award of damages for back and front lost pay and benefits, compensatory damages for emotional and physical pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, extreme embarrassment, loss of mental capacity, attorney’s fees, court costs and punitive damages.
Bennette is represented by David R. Schleicher of Schleicher Law Firm in Waco and Beaumont attorney Marsha A. Normand.
A jury trial is requested.
Case No. 1:13-cv-00092
- Three accident victims take driver to court for failed u-turn maneuver
- Texas jury cuffs China-based company with $31.5M patent infringement verdict
- Woman struck in vehicle at intersection sues for damages in roll-over accident
- Pedestrian faults alleged inebriated driver for hitting him
- Woman blames couple for damages and injuries in collision
- Railway worker claims damages from abrupt locomotive jolt
- Hotel guest sues for damages, claiming disabled door struck him
- Montgomery County man wants to know if jury pools are racially balanced
- MetLife suspects widow of murder, seeks representation for surviving children
- Suit alleging FMLA violation brought against Avance Inc.