Defective A/C product blamed for house fire

David Yates Apr. 4, 2013, 4:54pm

Port Neches resident Timothy Allen has filed suit against International Comfort Products, alleging over-heated wires inside one of the company’s air conditioner control boxes started a fire at his residence. 

The suit was filed March 28 in Jefferson County District Court.

According to the lawsuit, on Dec. 3, 2011, the fire started just outside Allen’s home, inside the control box of an Arcoaire A/C condenser unit that was designed, manufactured and placed into the stream of commerce by ICP.

“More specifically, the fire was caused by a defect within the control box, which caused the wires inside to overheat,” the suit states. “As a result of the fire, (the plaintiff) sustained damage to (his) home…”

Allen is suing for actual damages and living expenses in an amount greater than $200,000 but not more than $1,000,000.

Attorney William Sebesta of the Houston law firm Doyen Sebesta represents him.

Judge Donald Floyd, 172nd District Court, is assigned to the case.

Case No. E194-199

More News