Suit alleging defective A/C caused house fire removed to federal court

David Yates Sep. 13, 2013, 2:15pm


A defective product lawsuit filed locally has been removed to federal court. 

As previously reported, Port Neches resident Timothy Allen filed suit against an air conditioner company on March 28 in Jefferson County District Court, alleging over-heated wires inside one of the company’s air conditioner control boxes started a fire at his residence.

Court records show that on April 30, Carrier Corp., incorrectly identified as International Comfort Products in the original complaint, filed a notice of removal, stating the case is now in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas.

According to the lawsuit, on Dec. 3, 2011, the fire started just outside Allen’s home, inside the control box of an Arcoaire A/C condenser unit that was designed, manufactured and placed into the stream of commerce by Carrier.

“More specifically, the fire was caused by a defect within the control box, which caused the wires inside to overheat,” the suit states. “As a result of the fire, (the plaintiff) sustained damage to (his) home…”

Allen is suing for actual damages and living expenses in an amount greater than $200,000 but not more than $1,000,000.

Attorney William Sebesta of the Houston law firm Doyen Sebesta represents him.

Jefferson County Case No. A194-199

More News