HOUSTON - A Houston woman alleges a chart-topping rapper used a photograph belonging to her without permission, recent court papers say.
In a lawsuit filed Oct. 22 in the Houston Division of the Southern District of Texas, Jennifer Stetson accuses rapper 50 Cent of committing copyright infringement with the image in question.
Stetson explains she created the picture, titled "Claudia," in early 2012 and later registered it with the U.S. Copyright Office, stating she has either published or licensed all copies in compliance with the copyright laws.
Shortly after the plaintiff obtained the copyright, the original petition says, 50 Cent, whose real name is Curtis Jackson, "infringed the copyright by publishing and reproducing copies and/or derivatives of the copyrighted picture" on his Web site, ThisIs50.com.
The complainant claims she notified 50 Cent last month that his usage was in violation of her copyright, but the defendant "continues to infringe the copyright by continuing to publish and reproduce the infringing picture in violation of the copyright, and further has engaged in unfair trade practices and unfair competition in connection with its publication and production, thus causing irreparable damage."
A jury trial is requested.
Attorney Neal G. Massand of Ni, Wang & Associates PLLC in Dallas is representing Stetson.
Case No. 4:13-CV-3110
- Family represented by Arnold & Itkin claims law firm obtained $240K in attorney's fees through barratry
- Aetna’s seeks sanctions against North Cypress in $120M kickback suit
- SCOTUS declines to hear $2.1M 'Whoomp! (There It Is)' royalty case
- Demolition company sues general contractor, seeks payment for services
- Newton County Sheriff files defamation suit
- Jefferson County: $1M Jones Act suit settles before trial
- New survey: Lawsuit abuse discourages job growth
- Woman sues ADT after burglary, assault by three men
- Trial of suit alleging barge inspector thrown from gangway starts
- Gulf States, federal government announce settlement with BP over Deepwater Horizon spill