A hospital is suing an insurance company for failing to pay a hospital lien after settling with a driver injured in a car crash.
Baptist Hospitals of Southeast Texas, doing business as Memorial Hermann Baptist Beaumont/Orange Hospitals, also Memorial Herman Baptist Beaumont, filed a lawsuit against Acceptance Indemnity Insurance Co. and Wilshire Insurance Co. on Dec 2 in Jefferson County District Court.
The complaint states that on March 4, John Ruffin was injured in a motor vehicle crash allegedly caused by the negligence of Slayter LLC, an entity insured by Acceptance an/or Wilshire.
According to the plaintiff, Ruffin was then transported from the accident to Memorial Hermann for treatment of his injuries, totaling $6,282.75.
The plaintiffs allege that this amount remains unpaid and that the hospital secured a lien with Ruffin. According to the complaint, he filed a claim against Slayter for damages in the crash which he settled for $7,310 which the defendant's paid without protecting the plaintiff's hospital lien.
The plaintiff is seeking actual damages as well as interest and any costs of the action.
They are being represented in the case by attorney Jared Cole Johnson from Sullins, Johnston, Rohrbach & Magers.
The case has been assigned to Judge Gary Sanderson, Jefferson County 60th Judicial District.
Case No. B195-014
This is a report on a civil lawsuit filed at the District Court of Jefferson County 60th Judicial District. The details in this report come from an original complaint filed by a plaintiff. Please note that a complaint represents an accusation by a private individual, not the government. It is not an indication of guilt, and it represents only one side of the story.
- Family represented by Arnold & Itkin claims law firm obtained $240K in attorney's fees through barratry
- Aetna’s seeks sanctions against North Cypress in $120M kickback suit
- SCOTUS declines to hear $2.1M 'Whoomp! (There It Is)' royalty case
- Demolition company sues general contractor, seeks payment for services
- Newton County Sheriff files defamation suit
- Jefferson County: $1M Jones Act suit settles before trial
- New survey: Lawsuit abuse discourages job growth
- Woman sues ADT after burglary, assault by three men
- Trial of suit alleging barge inspector thrown from gangway starts
- Gulf States, federal government announce settlement with BP over Deepwater Horizon spill