A hospital is suing an insurance company for failing to pay a hospital lien after settling with a driver injured in a car crash.
Baptist Hospitals of Southeast Texas, doing business as Memorial Hermann Baptist Beaumont/Orange Hospitals, also Memorial Herman Baptist Beaumont, filed a lawsuit against Acceptance Indemnity Insurance Co. and Wilshire Insurance Co. on Dec 2 in Jefferson County District Court.
The complaint states that on March 4, John Ruffin was injured in a motor vehicle crash allegedly caused by the negligence of Slayter LLC, an entity insured by Acceptance an/or Wilshire.
According to the plaintiff, Ruffin was then transported from the accident to Memorial Hermann for treatment of his injuries, totaling $6,282.75.
The plaintiffs allege that this amount remains unpaid and that the hospital secured a lien with Ruffin. According to the complaint, he filed a claim against Slayter for damages in the crash which he settled for $7,310 which the defendant's paid without protecting the plaintiff's hospital lien.
The plaintiff is seeking actual damages as well as interest and any costs of the action.
They are being represented in the case by attorney Jared Cole Johnson from Sullins, Johnston, Rohrbach & Magers.
The case has been assigned to Judge Gary Sanderson, Jefferson County 60th Judicial District.
Case No. B195-014
This is a report on a civil lawsuit filed at the District Court of Jefferson County 60th Judicial District. The details in this report come from an original complaint filed by a plaintiff. Please note that a complaint represents an accusation by a private individual, not the government. It is not an indication of guilt, and it represents only one side of the story.
- Joint motion for dismissal filed in asbestos suit against Chevron
- Summary judgment sought in suit between Coon clan couple
- Christus purportedly settles med-mal over newborn’s skull fracture
- All insurers should resist dubious claims
- Longtime employee alleges BP practiced gender discrimination
- Customer blames Walgreens for injuries on premises
- Harris County worker alleges AANT Investments failed to pay overtime
- Texas business alleges breach of contract by Bloom Energy
- Motorist blames Beaumont for vehicle collision
- Recent patent infringement cases filed in the Eastern District of Texas