A Look Back at the Most Ridiculous Lawsuits of 2013
By Project Lawsuit Abuse
It’s a new year, which means we have plenty of fresh opportunities to fight lawsuit abuse. But first, let’s take a look back at what happened in 2013. Legal reformers were hard at work across the country – for instance, the U.S. House of Representatives passed the Lawsuit Abuse Reduction Act, while California passed several important legal reforms.
Oklahoma lawmakers held an emergency session to reinstate tort reform laws after the state Supreme Court temporarily struck them down, and West Virginia turned over a new leaf with a reform-minded attorney general.
But 2013 wasn’t without challenges. Personal injury lawyers continued to place our courts and small businesses under siege. As a reminder of how much more work we have to do, here’s a look at some of the most ridiculous lawsuits of the year, provided by the U.S. Chamber Institute for Legal Reform. (Editor's note: The Southeast Texas Record is owned by the U.S. Chamber Institute for Legal Reform.)
1. Inmates’ suit blames a life of crime on beer companies (Idaho)
2. Ohio teacher claims fear of children in suit against district (Ohio)
3. Student kicked off school track team for absences, Dad sues county for $40 million (N.J.)
4. Woman suing over “severe and permanent injuries” still able to complete half-marathon (W.Va.)
5. Lawsuit claims ‘footlong’ sandwiches come up short (N.J.)
6. Grown man sues parents for their “indifference” to his problems (N.Y.)
7. Customer sues restaurant over hostess’ rude comment (W.Va.)
8. Grad student who received free tuition sues school over grade (Pa.)
9. Two years to toss suit from robber who sued shop owner (Ariz.)
10. Man sues Apple for his porn addiction (Tenn.)
While we might get a good laugh from these lawsuits, we have to remember that there’s nothing funny about lawsuit abuse – it drains money from taxpayers, hurts small businesses and drives up costs for consumers. Let’s all keep working hard in 2014 to make sure our courts are used for justice, not greed!
Project Lawsuit Abuse is an online forum to discuss lawsuit abuse sponsored by the Sick of Lawsuits grassroots network.