Family of recently deceased man files asbestos lawsuit
The wife and children of a recently deceased man have filed suit against his former employer, alleging the man died after exposure to asbestos.
Dolores Belton, Carla Mahan and Myra Mitchell allege their husband and father, Jack Belton, was working for defendant Gulf Oil/Chevron in Jefferson County. During his employment, Jack Belton was exposed to toxic materials, including asbestos dust and fibers, according to the complaint filed Aug. 26 in Jefferson County District Court.
"As a result of such exposure, Jack Belton, developed an asbestos-related disease, asbestosis, from which he died a painful and terrible death on March 6, 2014," the suit states.
Jack Belton's next-of-kin blame Chevron for causing his injuries, saying the company knew that the products could case asbestosis and other related cancers but still allowed their employees to work around the products.
In their complaint, the plaintiffs seek unspecified exemplary and punitive damages plus costs.
J. Keith Hyde and D'Juana Parks, of Provost Umphrey Law Firm LLP in Beaumont, will represent the family.
Jefferson County District Court case number: B196-052
This is a report on a civil lawsuit filed at Jefferson County District Court. The details in this report come from an original complaint filed by a plaintiff. Please note that a complaint represents an accusation by a private individual, not the government. It is not an indication of guilt and it represents only one side of the story.