David Yates Aug. 5, 2015, 1:47pm


A Galveston County restaurant has been dismissed from a lawsuit alleging a child was scalded by hot water while washing his hands.

Jamison and Elizabeth Filer, on behalf of their minor child, filed suit against the Qun Group (528 Asian Bistro of Friendswood) in Galveston County District Court May 11, claiming liability in their child’s January 2015 injuries.

Court records show that before the restaurant could even respond to the litigation, the couple filed a notice of non-suit without prejudice on May 20.

Two days later, the presiding judge dismissed the case.

According to the filing, the minor child was scalded by hot water in the Asian Bistro’s restroom on or about Jan. 20. The hot water directed to the restroom facilities was allegedly on the same line as that feeding the kitchen.

Court documents state that the kitchen water line is much hotter than that which should be provided to the lavatories.

The plaintiffs claimed that the restaurant failed to prevent scalding water from exiting the restroom taps, leading to the minor’s burns.

Alleging negligence, the Filers cited past and future pain, suffering, medical costs and disfigurement on behalf of the child.

Kevin Madden of the Law Offices of Kevin Michael Madden in Houston represents the plaintiffs.

Galveston County District Court case number 15-CV-0472

More News