Roland Angelle has already served time in prison for obtaining fraudulent loans, and now he is being served by an insurance company that is trying to collect the more than $2 million he was ordered to pay 10 years ago.

In 1992, the former car dealer and Jefferson County businessman pleaded guilty to overdrawing more than $6.5 million from a checking account in Groves and obtaining 74 fraudulent loans from it to cover the loss. He was sentenced to serve two concurrent five-year terms in federal prison.

On March 1, 1996, Judge Donald Floyd of the 172nd Jefferson County District Court ordered Angelle to pay $2.7 million to St. Paul Fire & Marine Insurance Company and The St. Paul Insurance Company. In addition, the insurance companies were awarded $56,000 for court costs and another $15,000 for appeals.

The insurance companies say they received $10,000 in 1999, and "no further credits have been made and a balance of $2,746,520 with interest thereon remains unsatisfied by defendant and judgment debtor, Roland Angelle."

On June 8, St. Paul submitted a Revival of Judgment to Judge Floyd. The company has also applied for a writ requiring Angelle to appear in court and show cause why the judicial ruling should not be enforced.

"Because some question might arise regarding whether the judgment described has become dormant, Plaintiffs bring this proceeding pursuant to 31.006 of the Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code, so that all doubt may be removed," the petition states.

Angelle, 72, has had numerous run-ins with the law.

In 2003, a Jefferson County grand jury indicted him on two counts of felony theft from Angelle Marine. That same year he was acquitted of aggravated assault. Angelle had been accused of walking into the Provost Umphrey Law Firm and pulling a gun on Walter Umphrey, his longtime friend.

The defense argued that what Umphrey thought was a gun was actually a black and sliver arm brace Angelle was wearing following surgery for a broken arm.

In the summer of 2003, Angelle's home in Port Neches burned to the ground. The 6,000-square-foot house was a total loss, with damage estimated at $1 million. Investigators did not find evidence of arson, and said the fire started in the engine of Angelle's truck which then spread from the garage into the home's attic.

Judge Larry Gist sentenced Angelle to 10 years probation in 2004 after he was accused of selling a boat but not making the necessary arrangements to provide the customer with the title and license.

In March of this year Angelle was arrested again, also for a questionable deal over a vehicle. A woman said she had a contract with Angelle to sell her Toyota. Angelle told the woman he did make the sale for $13,500 and that he was waiting on payment from the buyer. A month later Angelle paid the woman $10,300 but never paid the balance.

Angelle was arrested for felony theft on March 22, 2007. A motion has been filed to revoke Angelle's probation.

Court documents show that he currently lives in Port Arthur.

Joe Byrom of the Law Office of Chad M. Neuens of Richhardson is representing St. Paul.

Case No. 179-465

More News