With large portions of Jefferson County still without electric power following Hurricane Ike, the use of generators and candles in homes is adding to an already dangerous situation.

The Port Arthur Police Department has reported that a woman was killed Sept. 17 in a fire caused by improper use of an electricity generator.

According to a press release from Southeast Texas Emergency Management, at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, crews responded to a house fire at 1913 Neches Ave. A 19-year-old woman was using a candle for light while a man tried to install a new electricity generator inside the home. Vapors ignited as the man poured gasoline into the generator.

The man received second-degree burns and the woman was taken to Christus Hospital St. Mary where she was pronounced dead.

A firefighter was also injured with a cut to his cheek and two police officers were treated for smoke inhalation.

Officials urge all residents to never place a generator inside a home. In addition to the fire danger, generators emit carbon monoxide, which can be deadly. Following Hurricane Rita in 2005, a family of five died in a Beaumont home from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Later Wednesday night, responders were called to 2925 10th St. where a candle caused a small fire that was quickly extinguished.

The PAPD also reported an auto pedestrian accident on 13th Street, four burglary suspects taken into custody on Avalon, 17 curfew arrest and one arrest for a felon in possession of a firearm.

More News