An Orange County man whose hand was burned by acid has filed suit against the company where he was working at the time of the incident.
Allan Gaspard was performing work on a line carrying hydrofluoric acid at the Valero Energy Corp. Port Arthur Refinery when a valve malfunctioned and released the acid, according to the complaint filed Jan. 16 in Jefferson County District Court.
"Mr. Gaspard was severely burned on his hand," the suit states.
Because of the incident, Gaspard suffered past and future physical pain and mental anguish and past and future physical impairment, he alleges.
He also incurred medical expenses, lost wages, experienced a loss of earning capacity and a loss of consortium, according to the complaint.
Valero breached its duty of care by failing to make the hazardous condition reasonably safe and by failing to warn Gaspard of the condition, the suit states.
Gaspard is seeking unspecified exemplary damages, pre- and post-judgment interest, costs and other relief to which he may be entitled.
Ryan Douglas White and Eric Newell of Brent Coon & Assoc. in Beaumont will be representing him.
The case has been assigned to Judge Bob Wortham of the 58th District Court.
Case No. A183-062