The wife and child of a deceased man have filed an asbestos suit against E.I. DuPont De Nemours and Co., alleging the man died from mesothelioma and pleural asbestosis after he was exposed to asbestos during the course of his career.
Margaret Abshire and Richard Abshire allege Albert Abshire inhaled significant amounts of asbestos fibers during his work at DuPont in Jefferson County.
Margaret Abshire and Richard Abshire blame DuPont for allowing its employees to work around asbestos when it knew asbestos could cause cancer and other deadly diseases.
In addition, DuPont failed to warn its employees of the dangers of asbestos, according to the complaint filed July 31 in Jefferson County District Court.
Because of DuPont's actions, Albert Abshire died a "terrible and painful death" on Dec. 23, the complaint says.
Margaret Abshire and Richard Abshire are seeking exemplary and punitive damages, plus costs, interest at the legal rate and other relief to which she may be entitled.
J. Keith Hyde and Darren Brown of Provost and Umphrey Law Firm in Beaumont will be representing them.
The case has been assigned to Judge Donald Floyd, 172nd District Court.
Jefferson County District Court case number: D184-598.