The surviving spouse and children of a man who died have filed suit against Chevron, claiming the man was exposed to asbestos fibers during his work for the company.

Malcolm E. Pilcher's wife, Joan, and his children, Deborah Lackey, Michael Pilcher and Bruce Pilcher, claim Malcolm E. Pilcher died on June 19 after he developed pulmonary asbestosis and rectal cancer.

According to the complaint, the diseases were caused from asbestos fibers that Malcolm E. Pilcher inhaled while working at Gulf Oil Corporation in Port Arthur.

The plaintiffs blame Chevron for causing the disease, alleging the company knew about the dangers of asbestos but still allowed its employees to work around the products. In addition, Chevron failed to warn Malcolm E. Pilcher about the dangers of asbestos exposure, the suit states.

Pilcher's wife and children are seeking exemplary and punitive damages, plus interest, costs and other relief to which they may be entitled.

J. Keith Hyde and D'Juana Parks of Provost and Umphrey Law Firm in Beaumont will be representing the plaintiffs.

The case has been assigned to Judge Milton Shuffield, 136th District Court.

Jefferson County District Court case number: D185-078.

More News