A Jefferson County man and his wife have filed suit against the owners of a Port Arthur building where they say the man suffered from severe smoke inhalation.

Saul and Aubrey Caballero claim they rented a premises at 4246 Fourth St. in Port Arthur from defendants Andreas Barrera, Paula Barrera and Lufinda Barrera when a fire broke out on Nov. 20, 2009.

"As a result of inadequate conditions and improper fire detection equipment, the Plaintiff suffered from severe smoke inhalation," the suit filed May 17 in Jefferson County District Court states.

Because of his smoke inhalation, Saul Caballero incurred medical costs, suffered physical pain and mental anguish and incurred physical impairment, according to the complaint.

Her husband's injuries caused Aubrey Caballero to incur loss of consortium, including damages to her family relationship and loss of care, comfort, solace, companionship, protection, services and physical relations, the complaint says.

The Caballeros blame the defendants for their damages, saying the defendants should have known of the propensity of a fire to break out and lacked smoke detection equipment in their building.

They seek a judgment in excess of the minimum jurisdictional limits of Jefferson County District Court, plus pre- and post-judgment interest, costs and other relief to which they may be entitled.

They will be represented by Scott W. Browne of Browne and Browne in Beaumont.

The case has been assigned to Judge Bob Wortham, 58th District Court.

Jefferson County District Court case number: A186-874.

More News