A Beaumont man has filed suit against the restaurant where he claims he ingested collard greens that caused him to become violently ill.

Leonard Randle claims he ate at defendant Richard's Cafe in Beaumont on July 10, 2008, where he ordered a meal that included collard greens manufactured and sold by defendant Allens.

Randle proceeded to ingest the collard greens, which he did not realize contained a bug or parts of a bug that caused him to become violently ill, according to the complaint filed July 9 in Jefferson County District Court.

Because of the incident, Randle incurred medical costs; experienced mental anguish, pain and suffering; and lost wages, the suit states.
He alleges negligence and strict liability against the defendants.

In his complaint, Randle is seeking unspecified damages, plus attorneys' fees, costs, pre- and post-judgment interest and other relief to which he may be entitled.

He will be represented by Zona Jones of Provost and Umphrey Law Firm in Beaumont.

The case has been assigned to Judge Bob Wortham, 58th District Court.

Jefferson County District Court case number: A187-248.

More News