Propane flash fire at Galveston beach house leads to suit

John Suayan, Galveston Bureau Oct. 27, 2010, 11:00am

GALVESTON – A Dallas County couple is suing a propane gas provider after the husband sustained injuries from a flash fire at their Galveston beach house, recent court documents say.

According to a lawsuit filed Oct. 21 in Galveston County District Court, plaintiff Stephen Dinjar attempted to light the water heater pilots in the attic on Oct. 22, 2008, when fire engulfed the entire area immediately upon ignition.

Dinjar tried to light the pilots for a propane tank purchased from Ferrellgas after Hurricane Ike and for their property's gas lines to fully and properly function. 

According to the suit, the defendant assured the Dinjars that there were no problems with the connections, therefore neither water heater nor any other appliance in the house required a red tag.

The alleged blast erupted from one end of the attic to the other, the original petition says.

Stephen Dinjar claims he suffered severe burns to his face, scalp, legs, hands and fingers.

"As a direct and proximate result of the burns and injuries suffered by Mr. Dinjar, a very painful and debilitating treatment and healing process ensued including debridement and skin grafts," the suit says.

"Mr. Dinjar has been left with permanent scarring, disfigurement, pain and impairment to his extremities including his legs."

Stephen's wife, Sheila Dinjar, is also a plaintiff in the suit.

The Dinjars seek unspecified monetary damages and a jury trial.

 They are represented by The Chandler Law Firm LLP.

The case has been assigned to Galveston County 405th District Court Judge Wayne Mallia.

Case No. 10-cv-4011

More News