Suit alleges Glade candle 'unreasonably dangerous'

David Yates Sep. 14, 2011, 7:26am

Alleging her Glade scented candle was mistakenly advertised as safe, area resident Courtney Harris has filed suit against S.C. Johnson & Son for damages caused when the candle flared.

Under the Deceptive Trade Practices Act, the suit was filed Sept. 6 in Jefferson County District Court.

According to the lawsuit, the candle was advertised as safe with the promise it would enhance a home, enticing Harris to purchase the scented candle.

"Instead, the candle was unreasonably dangerous, and it flared and/or malfunctioned, causing the house to catch on fire," the suit states. "The home sustained substantial property damage and plaintiff sustained bodily injury as a result."

The suit does not state how the candle malfunctioned or when Harris purchased the product.

Harris is suing for her medical expenses and mental anguish, plus actual damages.

Beaumont attorney John Morgan represents her.

Judge Bob Wortham, 58th District Court, has been assigned to the case.

Case No. A190-852

More News