Victoria's Secret at Parkdale Mall
Normally the only danger lurking in a Victoria's Secret is a "significant other" lying in wait to catch a two-timer shopping for someone else. But there may be a far greater peril than jealous spouses – plastic fragrance spray bottles and aroma glass candles seated on high shelves.
Tama Douglas filed suit against the "unmentionables" distributor, claiming a Victoria's employee knocked an "object made of glass or of some type of plastic" off a shelf, which landed and broke on Douglas' arm, forcing her to "endure physical pain, suffering, mental anguish and loss of income."
Through Beaumont attorney Woodson Dryden, Douglas filed her personal injury lawsuit with the Jefferson County Court at Law No. 1 on August 29. Judge Alfred Gerson will preside over the case.
According to the plaintiff's original petition, on March 30, 2007, Douglas "was looking at some merchandise" at the Victoria's Secret inside the Parkdale Mall when an employee "attempting to get something off of a higher shelf and an object made of glass or of some type of plastic fell and broke onto the plaintiff's (sic) arm, cutting her hand (and) resulting in additional injuries to her body."
In her suit, Douglas says the cut on her hand has caused her to suffer considerable mental anguish, pain and suffering. She has also been unable work since the injury.
The suit charges Victoria's with negligence for "failing to be sure that she (the employee) did not knock something off a higher shelf," failing to warn the plaintiff that the employee was removing a product from a higher shelf, and failing to display merchandise in a safe manner.
In addition to her pain and suffering, Douglas is suing for past and future medical expenses.
Case No. 109-317