Woman claims food poisoning caused by Kroger's tainted lobster

By Kelly Holleran | Apr 14, 2009

A Beaumont woman is suing a Kroger store over food poisoning she alleges was caused by eating lobster purchased from the market.

Paula Richardson filed suit against Kroger on April 9 in Jefferson County District Court.

Richardson says she became violently ill after eating a frozen lobster she had purchased from the Kroger located at 3845 Phelan Blvd. in Beaumont on April 14, 2007.

The complaint says Richardson prepared the lobster on April 16, 2007, and suffered extreme food poisoning after its consumption.

Because of her illness, Richardson says she incurred medical expenses, suffered physical pain and physical impairment, lost earnings and experienced mental anguish, according to the complaint.

Richardson claims the lobster was unsafe when it left Kroger.

According to the complaint, Kroger failed to inspect the frozen lobster and equipment used in maintaining its freshness, failed to properly maintain the frozen lobster, failed to properly warn Richardson about the condition of the lobster and enticed Richardson to purchase the defective lobster.

Richardson is seeking unspecified damages, plus pre- and post-judgment interest and other relief to which she may be entitled.

Kent W. Johns of Beaumont will be representing her.

The case has been assigned to Judge Bob Wortham of the 58th District Court.

Jefferson County District Court case number: A183-754.

More News

The Record Network