Suit alleges electrical product failed causing fire

By Michelle Massey, East Texas Bureau | Sep 7, 2010

SHERMAN-An electrical component manufacturer has been sued after the component allegedly failed causing a destructive fire to a residence in Highland Village.

James Story filed suit against Square D/Schneider Electric USA Inc. on Sept. 2 in the Eastern District of Texas, Sherman Division.

The fire occurred on Nov. 6, 2008, at Story's home located in Highland Village.

According to court records, the fire investigation revealed the fire originated at the external electric disconnect that was installed on the south wall of the residence.

The suit claims the electrical disconnect failed causing electrical arcing within the disconnect enclosure. The fire caused significant property damage including damage to the structure of the residence and destruction of personal property.

The defendants are accused of strict liability for making a defective and unreasonably dangerous product.

The plaintiff is seeking more than $75,000 in general damages, plus interest and court costs.

Story is represented by Paul A. Grinke and Dean A. Knecht of McCathern Mooty in Dallas. Jury trial is requested.

U.S. District Judge Richard A. Schell is assigned to the case.

Case No. 4:10cv00440

More News

The Record Network