HOUSTON - After his arm was reportedly sawed off while working at the Mauser USA LLC facility, Houston resident Blas Esteban Solis pursues legal action.
Solis filed the personal injury lawsuit Feb. 14 in Harris County District Court, and the litigation was transferred to the Houston Division of the Southern District of Texas on Feb. 27.
Demand Staffing & Consulting, which is not a party in the case, hired the plaintiff to work at the defendant's property as an independent contractor/machine operator on July 7, 2012.
The suit says that the machine Solis was working on was not operating properly so the assistant operator turned it off, allowing the plaintiff to make the required adjustments.
After the machine resumed operations, according to the original petition, it "malfunctioned and unexpectedly engaged without being manually turned on by the operator."
"At the time the machine engaged, Mr. Solis's left arm was caught in the machine and sawed off by the drum in the machine," the suit says.
The defendant is blamed for:
- Failing to provide a safe workplace;
- Failing to maintain its equipment in safe working condition;
- Failing to properly inspect the equipment in its facility;
- Failing to properly train its employees or hired contractors to avoid causing injuries to others on the job site, including the complainant; and
- Failing to adequately warn the plaintiff.
Consequently, Solis seeks unspecified monetary damages.
He is represented by attorney Benny Agosto Jr. with Abraham, Watkins, Nichols, Sorrels, Agosto & Friend in Houston.Case No. 4:13-CV-527