SE Texas Record

Friday, January 17, 2020

IHOP non-suited from ‘exploding egg’ lawsuit just days after it was filed

By David Yates | Mar 12, 2019


BEAUMONT – In the time that it takes to microwave an egg (well maybe not quite that fast), the International House of Pancakes has been non-suited from a lawsuit brought by a customer alleging an egg exploded in her face.

Seeking more than $100,000 in damages, Rebecca Spikes filed suit against IHOP on Feb. 20 in Jefferson County District Court.

On Nov. 6, 2017, Spikes was having breakfast at the Beaumont IHOP, as she does on a regular basis, according to the lawsuit.

On this occasion, however, Spikes had order a hardboiled egg with her meal. As she cut into the egg, it “suddenly and without warning” exploded, causing second and third degree burns to her face, arms, legs and neck.

Spikes alleges IHOP employees were negligent because they “super heated” the egg in a microwave oven.

She also contends IHOP and its employees were negligent for “failing or refusing to adequately warn (her) of the super heated egg.”

Court records show that on Feb. 25, just five days after the suit was filed, Spikes filed a notice of nonsuit for all her claims against IHOP.

Spikes was suing for her past and future mental anguish, pain, impairment, disfigurement and medical expenses.

Beaumont attorney Kent Johns represents her.

The case is assigned to Judge Mitch Templeton, 172nd District Court.

Case No. E-203381

Want to get notified whenever we write about any of these organizations ?

Sign-up Next time we write about any of these organizations, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.

Organizations in this Story

Jefferson County District CourtIHOP