British Petroleum
Recent News About British Petroleum
-
Parties a no show for JC civil case called up for trial
A civil lawsuit called up for trial Aug. 17 was dismissed for want of prosecution after neither the plaintiff nor the defendants in the case appeared. -
Civil suit brought against city of Beaumont heads to trial
In September 2009, Vidor resident Kenneth Sheppard filed a $5 million lawsuit against the city of Beaumont claiming it took too long to provide him with an incident report after a hit-and-run automobile collision. The case was called up for trial on Aug. 17 in Judge Donald Floyd's 172nd District Court. According to the original petition, on Sept. 30, 2007, Sheppard was returning home when he was struck by a F-250 Ford truck backing out onto into the intersection of 11th Street and the Intersta -
Lawyer says plaintiffs who opted out of the BP settlement deserve justice; Brent Coon files request for cases to be moved to state court
More than five years after the Deepwater Horizon explosion and the subsequent oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, attorney Brent Coon and over 3,000 of his clients have not received a hearing on their legal claims against BP PLC. -
teasers and front page order list
Story CopyList for page 1 and article order. -
Will the BP settlement go where it should?
The rulings have officially been passed down regarding just how much BP will pay as a result of the Macondo spill of 2010 in the Gulf of Mexico. BP will pay out around $18.7 billion to the federal government, the State of Louisiana as well as four other Gulf states. Included in the Louisiana payout will be several southern parishes that were directly affected by the accident. -
List for page 1 and teasers
Story Copy - Texas politicians react to SCOTUS ruling legalizing gay marriage (Governor will defend religious beliefs) - RM&Q files motion for new trial in asbestos case against DuPont. -
Texas to receive $750M from $20.2B Deepwater Horizon agreement
Five years after the Deepwater Horizon disaster, BP and five Gulf Coast states reached an agreement in principle on July 2, consenting to a settlement worth $20.2 billion in damages and penalties. According to a press release, Texas will receive more than $750 million. “After five years, I’m proud to announce that Texas, along with the other Gulf Sstates, has reached an agreement in principle with BP to resolve all the states’ claims,” said Gov. Greg Abbott in a written statement. -
Benzene suit brought against Chevron, 13 other companies
By DAVID YATES A couple has brought a benzene lawsuit against more than a dozen companies. -
Total Petrochemicals non-suited from benzene suit
By DAVID YATES Total Petrochemicals & Refining USA was recently non-suited from a benzene lawsuit brought by local residents Robert Fontenot and his wife, who sued Total and 15 other companies for allegedly exposing Fontenot to benzene throughout his career. The suit was filed Feb. 4, 2014, in Jefferson County District Court. Court records show the plaintiffs filed a notice of non-suit on May 7, stating they no longer wished to pursue their claims against Total. -
Recent patent infringement cases filed in the Eastern District of Texas
MARSHALL DIVISION -
Recent patent infringement cases filed in the Eastern District of Texas
By JOHN SUAYAN MARSHALL DIVISION June 8 Display Technologies LLC v. -
PA seafood companies accused of perpetrating $3M Deepwater Horizon fraud
By KYLE BARNETT NEW ORLEANS – A pair of Texas seafood processors owned by a man previously imprisoned for fraud are facing more than $3 million in Deepwater Horizon claims clawbacks after court officials said the firms were not in business at the time of the 2010 oil spill. Alliance & Associates LLC and Crystal Seafood Company of Port Arthur are accused in court documents of fraudulently receiving a $3.16 million damage claim from the BP settlement fund. -
Port Arthur seafood companies owned by man previously convicted of fraud accused of perpetrating $3 million Deepwater Horizon fraud
NEW ORLEANS – A pair of Texas seafood processors owned by a man previously imprisoned for fraud are facing more than $3 million in Deepwater Horizon claims clawbacks after court officials said the firms were not in business at the time of the 2010 oil spill. -
BP appeals ‘grossly negligent’ finding in Deepwater Horizon disaster
By DAVID YATES In September, a federal judge designated BP as the foremost company responsible for the 2010 explosion of the Deepwater Horizon rig and ensuing oil spill. On Monday, June 1, the oil giant filed a brief in the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals rejecting Judge Carl Barbier’s finding that it was “grossly negligent.” BP called upon the higher court in hopes of adverting a $12 billion fine that the government seeks to levy against the company. -
BP appeals ‘grossly negligent’ finding in Deepwater Horizon disaster
In September, a federal judge designated BP as the foremost company responsible for the 2010 explosion of the Deepwater Horizon rig and ensuing oil spill. -
Company seeks refund following Craigslist purchase
A company that bought a supposedly refurbished concrete pump on Craigslist from an authorized dealer is suing for its money back. -
Rice GMO plaintiff lawyers battle in federal court over fees; Proposed class action targets Mikal Watts group
ST. LOUIS – High profile lawyer Mikal Watts of San Antonio and his colleagues in litigation against Bayer chemical company face a federal suit claiming they reaped millions in fees that didn’t belong to them.