SE Texas Record

Saturday, January 18, 2020

Man receives eletrical shock from oven, sues hotel

By David Yates | Jul 30, 2007

Shocked by the condition of an oven at the Deluxe Inns & Suites located on College Street, Johnny Shaw and his wife have filed a lawsuit against the hotel and its owners.

Shaw claims he suffered "severely disabling and permanent" injuries from an electrical shock caused by a faulty oven in his room. He filed his personal injury suit against Deluxe Inns, the Patel Group Inc. and Sanjay Patel with the Jefferson County District Court on July 26.

According to the plaintiff's original petition, on Aug. 4, 2005, Shaw was a maintenance worker living at the hotel. He claims an oven in his room shocked him, causing "serious bodily injuries."

Shaw says in his suit that the defendants were negligent for failing to provide him safe appliances and warn him of the dangerous condition.

"As a direct and proximate result of defendants' negligence, Shaw has suffered serious and disabling injuries, including physical impairment and severe physical and mental pain�and he will continue to suffer in this manner for a long time into the future, if not for the balance of his natural life, for all of which plaintiffs now sue."

Shaw and his wife, Arlondine, are also suing for medical expenses and loss of earning capacity, plus the loss of "sexual relations, (which are) necessary to a successful marriage."

The couple is represented by attorney Brian Sutton of the Sutton & Jacobs law firm.

Judge Milton Shuffield, 136th Judicial District, will preside over the case.

Case No. D179-719

Want to get notified whenever we write about ?

Sign-up Next time we write about , we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.