Man sues after tripping over wire at hardware store

By Kelly Holleran | Oct 29, 2009

A Jefferson County man has filed suit against the Beaumont Sutherland Lumber store, alleging he tripped over an exposed piece of electrical wiring, causing him to fall into a metal cradle.

Bruce E. McCown claims he was shopping for electrical equipment at Sutherland Lumber on Aug. 30, 2008, when he tripped on the exposed wire that had unraveled from its spool.

Because of his fall, McCown claims he suffered a laceration to his chest, which required him to receive stitches, according to the complaint filed Oct. 23 in Jefferson County District Court.

In addition to the medical costs he incurred, McCown experienced physical pain, mental anguish and physical disfigurement, the suit states.

McCown's allegations against Sutherland Lumber include breach of ordinary care.

McCown is seeking damages for his pain, mental anguish and permanent disfigurement, plus attorneys' fees, pre- and post-judgment interest, costs and other relief the court deems just.

Allen Parker of The Parker Law Firm in Port Arthur will be representing him.

The case has been assigned to Judge Bob Wortham, 58th District Court.

Jefferson County District Court case number: A185-206.

More News

The Record Network