Family blames man's death on exposure to dangerous chemical

By Kelly Holleran | Mar 31, 2010

The wife and daughters of a deceased man claim he died from cardiopulmonary arrest after being exposed to a toxic chemical.

Sharon Ailes, Brandi Lawrence and Tamika Evans filed a lawsuit March 19 in Jefferson County District Court against Martin Product Sales.

The plaintiffs claim their husband and father, Michael Ailes, worked for Martin Gas Product Sales on July 23, 2009, when he was exposed to excessive amounts of hydrogen sulfide, causing him to suffer cardiopulmonary arrest and died.

According to television and newspaper reports at the time, co-workers found Ailes' body on a railcar at around 5:30 a.m.

Because of Michael Ailes' death, the plaintiffs lost his companionship, society, love, comfort, care, maintenance, support, services, advice and counsel; suffered mental anguish, emotional pain and torment; and lost his inheritance, according to the complaint.

They say Michael Ailes' death can be attributed to Martin Gas' negligence.

The plaintiffs seek a judgment within the jurisdictional amounts of Jefferson County District Court, plus pre- and post-judgment interest, costs and other relief to which they may be entitled.

Richard Schechter of the Law Office of Richard Schechter in Houston and Marsha Normand of Beaumont will be representing them.

The case has been assigned to Judge Bob Wortham, 58th District Court.

Jefferson County District Court case number: A186-332.

More News

The Record Network