GALVESTON - Seaman Brodie Knight has brought a personal injury lawsuit against Seamar Divers International LLC, Superior Energy Services LLC and Walter Oil & Gas International LLC, recent court documents say.
The suit, filed Aug. 14 in the Galveston Division of the Southern District of Texas, claims Knight injured himself more than two years ago on a vessel owned by one of the defendants.
Knight was assigned to the L/B Superior, which is owned and operated by defendant Superior, at the time of the event in question on Sept. 1, 2010.
He alleges that he had just secured a load to be lifted by a crane when the operator improperly operated the piece of heavy machinery.
"The plaintiff was forced to initiate an escape route from danger and stepped back and down onto a box on the deck of the L/B Superior," the original petition says.
The suit further states that Knight stepped on a piece of plywood which was on top of a storage box when it gave way and caused him "severe and permanent" injuries.
The respondents are faulted for:
- Failing to provide a safe place to work;
- Failing to provide a proper training to its crew members on rigging, lifting, communication and crane operation;
- Failing to provide a proper training to its crew members with respect to repair and maintenance of the vessel;
- Failing to properly outfit, repair and maintain the vessel; and
- Failing to inspect and assure the vessel was a safe place to work.
Consequently, Knight seeks unspecified monetary damages and a jury trial.
Attorney Chad D. Points of Denena & Points, P.C. in Houston is representing the plaintiff.
Case No. 3:13-CV-291